19/01/20: U18s Match Report v Beckenham

Posted by

By Russell Ticehurst

A second round Kent Colts fixture saw Club travel away to Beckenham.A strong wind and heavy conditions greeted Club on their arrival which would clearly suit the much heavier home side but the boys had a plan and were ready for the tough and no doubt tight game ahead.

The boys played up the hill and into the wind and worked tirelessly against a formidable Beckenham pack who were clearly looking for revenge for the loss against Club earlier in the season. Club captain Laurence Ticehurst went off early on in the contest having completed 12 tackles in only fifteen minutes and so the first of many reshuffles saw U17 Felix Burrows move to 9 with Jacob Wearon coming onto the Wing for his first appearance.

The home side finally broke through and scored a well deserved 7 points which spurred on Daniel Adamola, Max Lonsdale and Nathaniel Ticehurst who carried into the heart of the Beckenham forwards with significant success. This pressure led to another infringement at the breakdown in the 22 with a yellow card looking inevitable. However just a penalty this time and Club went in against the strong wind only 7-3 down.

The second half started poorly for Club with a mistake in midfield leading to a soft try for the home side right under the posts taking the score to 14-3. Club were again on the back foot defending some excitable Beckenham forwards who felt they had the game wrapped up, so it proved, but not before the Club trio stepped up again carrying to the heart of the home side 22.

Successful catch and drives eventually saw Nathaniel Ticehurst dot down to being the score to 14-8 and the message was clear from the coaches that keep going and so it was with another successful catch and drive by Dan Ademola bringing the score to 14-13 with the conversion to Win the match. Sadly the strike wasn’t pure and the wind took the ball wide of the posts to give the home side a well deserved and ultimately hard fought win.

Tim Brindle

Leave a Reply