Blackheath – 1st Team vs Old Elthamian

Posted by


Herriott and King reign supreme as Club power to parity

On a dark damp day in December at College Meadow, the Old Elthamian backs, and Dom Lespierre in particular, had ripped Blackheath asunder and set the hosts on their way to a resounding 32-7 victory,

Now, on this dry, sunny afternoon in spring, the Elthamian right-wing would again leave his mark, but on a day perfect for running rugby, and in front of a sun-drenched Well Hall crowd in excess of 1,600, it was the Club front-row who, in the reverse fixture between these near-neighbours, would return the favour and ensure honours even across the two matches.


Hayden King, Matt Miles, Danny Herriott, and later Mike Perks, were simply magnificent, giving their opposite numbers a torrid afternoon and setting the platform for a first half which saw three Blackheath tries, before winning the three penalties in the second period that stretched what had become a narrow lead into a winning one.

Jack Walsh

Joe Carlisle had given OEs the early advantage, the fly-half kicking three points as the visitors enjoyed territory in the opening ten minutes.  But Blackheath’s first sortie across the half-way line saw Jack Walsh (who had led his side on to the field to mark passing 150 appearances in Club colours) dummy across the gain line from line-out ball, and as the hosts probed at close-range, Markus Burcham off-loaded to Leo Fielding for the first try.

Leo Fielding 3

Devin Montgomery made the break that enabled Harry Bate to cut inside and send Tom Stradwick rumbling across for a second score, and although Hamish Barton responded with a try for the visitors, the skipper and open-side finding space on the left flank as the OEs pack drove off line-out ball, it was Blackheath who finished the opening period in the ascendancy.

Devin Montgomery

With tempers beginning to fray in the heat, the hosts opted for a five-metre scrum from a penalty infringement and with the solid platform, and good driving work from Bate at open-side, Stradwick found a hole to dive over for his second try which, with Joe Tarrant adding a second conversion, gave the Club a 19-8 lead at the break.

Nevertheless, it was an advantage that would be all but whittled away within twelve minutes of the re-start.

As Walsh headed to the sin-bin for not retreating, opposite scrum-half Ollie Claxton moved blind off line-out ball to scamper across on the right flank, followed soon after by Lespierre in the same corner as OEs exploited the extra space, reducing the arrears to a single point.


However, following a lengthy break for James Clarke to receive treatment for an ankle injury (the referee fortunately able to continue) the Club pack re-tightened their grip and, forcing a series of collapsed scrums, enabled Tarrant to strike the three penalties that moved Blackheath clear, Lespierre’s second try coming too late to threaten the outcome.


Tries:   Fielding, Stradwick 2

Conv:  Tarrant 2

Pens:    Tarrant 3

Old Elthamian

Tries:   Barton, Claxton, Lespierre 2

Pens:    Carlisle


Blackheath Team

15 Leo Feilding
14 Geoff Griffiths
13 Markus Burcham (Capt)
12 Mark Cooke
11 Jake Lloyd
10 Joe Tarrant
9 Jack Walsh
1 Hayden King
2 Matt Miles
3 Danny Herriott
4 CJ Osazuwa
5 Devin Montgomery
6 Tom Stradwick
7 Harry Bate
8 Tom Baldwin
16 Mike Perks
17 James Hallam
18 Freddie Owen
19 Josh Davies
20 Alex Pickersgill


Date Time League Season
21st Apr 18 3:00 pm National League One 2017


Well Hall
25 Kidbrooke Lane, London SE9 6TE, UK


Blackheath – 1st Team28
Old Elthamian23

Blackheath – 1st Team

Position MoM DoD T C P DG

Old Elthamian

Position MoM DoD T C P DG

Everton Daley

Leave a Reply