Results Roundup 1st & 2nd December

Posted by


On Saturday the Bandits travelled to Burgess park to take on Southwark 3s after Park House were unable to fulfil the scheduled league fixture, giving the Bandits a walk over.

The Bandits had a fantastic warm up, ran drills perfectly pre game, which could mean only one thing. That we would start poorly!

The first 20 minutes saw a dropped kick off, poor attacking play (with a ball that had absolutely no grip on it). However the defence held firm. 0-0.

New player Juan chased a defensive kick and smashed his opposite number who was about twice his size. This would continue throughout the game.

Eventually the Bandits had a chance to attack. The ball spilled loose from a ruck, Captain Clarky scooped the ball up and barrelled through 2 defenders to touch down for the first score of the game.

This was followed shortly after by a solid base from the forwards, excellent execution from the backs to put wing Lordan through. An excellent finish which saw him dance down the touch line avoiding defenders.

The second half started well with a score from new boy Juan, using his pace to beat defenders.

Dan Yeomans scored yet another try after being put through a gap by Clarky. Dan hit a great line to evade the defence.

Nik Dinning burrowed in from close range. This was followed by another try for Lordan. The backs played out of the 22, Lordan made it up to our 10m line, chipped over the defence, gave chase for 50m to touch down just to the right of the posts. Certainly a contender for try of the season.

Southwark 3s 0-34 Blackheath Bandits


Next week the Bandits take on Guys hospital:  They will need to be more disciplined in the early stages and impose their game plan on the opposition.

Currently the Bandits sit top of the table with 2 games in hand.




The U15 B team played a strong Brentwood U!5 A side who brought a vociferous support.  However, they were soon quietened when Blackheath raced into a 14pt lead with some fine interlinking, free flowing rugby.  Although Brentwood came back into it, we ended the first half 19-5 up.

Brentwood however then refreshed their side bringing on a number of sub’s while Blackheath only had one at our disposal.  Fresh legs against a tiring Blackheath pack set the tone for the second half as Brentwood’s powerful forwards denied Blackheath the ball and the ability to release our fast backline.  Some poor tackling and ineffective rucking allowed Brentwood to continue to pressurise our line and eventually Brentwood ran out winners 36-24.

While the team can be pleased pushing a strong A side, they need to reflect that with better tackling and rucking, this was a game they could have won.

Jon Saunders



A great morning for rugby as the U14s hosted Sidcup RFC at Well Hall on Sunday.  Whilst Christmas festivities loomed at the end of the month, the Blackheath team prepared for presents of their own hoping for a home win over their local rivals.

Blackheath rested a number of our players following their successful efforts qualifying for the quarter finals of the Kent Cup.  The game started very evenly for the first 20 minutes as both teams adapted to the wet and muddy conditions which made handling tricky.  Sidcup eventually made a nice breakthrough as Blackheath missed a tackle out wide in the first half.  It was not converted by their kicker meaning 5-0, so Blackheath’s team kept their heads up and fought back, to be rewarded with a try from Ashley Agbonaye, followed by a nicely kicked conversion through the top of the posts by Morgan Veasey. 7-5 to Blackheath at half time.

The second half saw a good battle where Blackheath shipped the ball well along the back line and offered some good opportunities to the wingers and fullback.  However, the mixed pack were no match for Sidcup’s forwards, who were very strong in the scrum and were winning most rucks with intelligent communication (lots of “Ice” & “Fire” calls).  Bad handling by both teams in the conditions resulted in lots of knock ons, which in turn saw a record number of scrums where Sidcup’s larger forwards started to edge the battle upfront and manage two further tries, converting one.  17-7 to Sidcup!  The last 15 minutes saw Blackheath camped in Sidcup’s half but unable to convert the numerous opportunities presented to their backs – frustratingly!

A good and fairly matched game played in the true spirit of Rugby with sportsmanship reported by the referee throughout the game.  Blackheath licked their wounds during the after match meal with a hamburger and their hosts’ head coach congratulated them on a great performance.

MOTM was Ashley Agbonaye who, after a long absence this season, tackled like a demon, letting nothing past his position including Sidcup’s man of the match winger and was a threat every time he got the ball on the wing.

A great day and great rugby weather.

Looking forwards to OCs next week.


Zak Veasey


It was a tough day Sunday but all players should take credit.  To start with we were missing several players – the result of winter colds and numerous injuries at school games or with us.  All the players that played, and especially those that stepped up, should realise we played against a club, in Hertford, who have twice as many boys.

The B team played first, and what a cracking game it was.  Great game played by either side, it ebbed and flowed, could’ve gone either way, with two very evenly matched teams.  We just lost, in almost the last play, 10-15 but the key takeaway is that all the players raised their games significantly and were very competitive.  Well done all!  Tries from Archie and Chris.

The As took to the field with several players missing.  In the first 5 minutes they were very competitive but then the game ebbed away to a much more aggressive and tenacious opposition.  Injuries to several of our players impacted us further.  Players and coaches will reflect on the game, take away what we need to work on and improve.  They proved against WP they can do this.  The end result was 0-50.

Finally best wishes to Dylan who had to go to hospital.  Fortunately he was given the all clear and we wish him a good recovery.


Nick Stone





Blackheath U7s teams were well disciplined & ‘won’ all games that they played in.  Great day, albeit a long one for the boys!


Team did really well. They had a blast, enjoyed the festival and some great turnovers


Both teams equipped themselves really well and after a slow start the passing game got going and brought the results. Strong tackling from both squads. Special mentions for Eddie and Harry who were worthy winners of the trophies.


Certainly won more than lost between the 2 teams.  Some great rugby played and a few good complimentary comments from the referees following games about the standard of play.  Set up a very good Blackheath team against a very good Westcombe Park team and if we were counting we certainly won that one.  Very pleased with all the boys and girls.  Sam and Seb very worthy trophy winners from U10s.


Had teams in the experienced and development groups. There was some fantastic rugby played and the teams accounted for themselves very well.

All round a great day and thoroughly enjoyable day.


Graham Colledge

Tim Brindle

Leave a Reply